The kids and I went on a hike today....the autumn colors really are amazing...reds, oranges and yellows....
. Just as we begin our hike, we look up and we see this little guy about 5 feet away from us up in the tree! He is just munching away on his acorn (I think that's what he had in his little paws) I took way too many pictures of him (I mean, really, what AM I going to do with 10 pictures of little Mr. Squirrel???) Noah asks me about 34 times if he could PLEEEEEAZE just hit it with his sling shot. "Pleeeaze Mom, pleeeaze! I could so hit it; he's right there! Please!" Of course I say NO. Mean mom, right? I don't know, I guess I just figure if we're out enjoying nature, we probably shouldn't allow killing.....
As we continue on our hike, we talk about how adorable Mr. Squirrel is and how fun it is to be out in nature and all the cool things we get to see.
Then little Anna says, "Momma, if that little quirrel (she doesn't really say her S's at the beginning of words yet) fell out of the tree, I would just bend oba (over) and coop (scoop) him up in my hands and cuddle him in my arms" So. Stinkin. Cute. Then Noah says, "Not me - before he fell out of the tree I would hit him with my sling shot, and watch him fall down, then I'd skin him, cook him and eat him and keep the skin and make a coat! Well, I'd have to kill a bunch of them to make a coat." He is SUCH a twelve year old boy. Joey doesn't say anything - he's too busy picking up three million leaves and shoving them in his backpack. He just loves all of the colors and every single leaf is so beautiful and unique that he must take them ALL home.
Noah continues to BEG and PLEAD with me to please let him kill a chipmunk or squirrel or something that moves, with his sling shot. I continue to tell him no and try to convince him it's just as much fun to hit a tree as it is a moving target. He isn't buying it.
Anna starts to complain, "Momma, my legs are so tired! Carry me! Carry me!" Well, time to head back down the mountain I suppose.
Anna came home with tired little legs, Joey came home with three million and one leaves and Noah came home still wishing he could have inflicted death upon some innocent creature....I came home feeling refreshed and grateful for the beautiful things that God has put in my life; autumn colors, the air that is just barely turning chilly and the chance to be with my little ones....to run and play with them and to laugh at the things they say....



No comments:
Post a Comment